CVD is not part of the Chinese Embassy, and you can get your visa direct from the embassy cheaper on the slow service. However, CVD will minimise errors and common pitfalls and get you your visa in the shortest time possible.




Study Visas - X Visas

X1 visa - Single entry for visits of over 180 days;
X2 visa - Single entry for visits of less than 180 days.

Always bear in mind that the type of visa and length granted for each stay is always at the discretion of the Chinese Embassy, which will grant you the visa they deem is most appropriate as determined by all the circumstances (especially the documentation in hand).


Look at our PRICING page to see how much each costs.

NB If you pay by cheque, we will wait for the cheque to clear before we send your passport back (usually 5 - 7 working days)


boatSelect the type of visa you want to find out about:

This "X" visa is for studying in China. To get your application going, you will need::

1. Passport plus a photocopy of the photo page in addition - passport must have two blank pages and 6 months remianing validity

2. Digital photo (to be uploaded to the Chinese Visa Centre application form) - there are specific requirements for photos - click here for more information - if the requirements (per the link) are not met, the application may be refused.

3. If you have not opted for our form filling service, email us a copy of the submitted application form for us to check and correct any errors.

4. Relevant fee (click here to see prices)

5. A copy of your permanent residence or work permit for the UK if you are not applying with an EU passport.

6. If you have been to China before, a photocopy of your last Chinese visa.

7. If you used to have a Chinese passport, and now have a foreign passport, and if it is the first time you are applying for a visa, you need to send an copy of the Chinese passport plus a photocopy of the data page of the passport. If you have had previous Chinese visas but they are in an old passport, you need to send us a copy of the Chinese passport and a photocopy of the data page, the photo page, and of the previous Chinese Visas.

8. Photocopy of Admission Notice issued by the inviting entity in China e.g. from a school or university.

9. For X1 visas, you will need, in addition, Form JW201 or Form JW202. These are issued by the Chinese authorities in China.

Remember: when you submit your application online to the Chinese Visa Centre, DON'T book an appointment for fingerprints - just use our daily fingerprinting / submission slots!



Not using CVD to get your Chinese visa could be an expensive time consuming mistake. Here's what you need to be careful if you DIY without CVD:

  1. If you make any mistakes on your application form, you won't find out straight away. You will find out at your fingerprint appointment and be turned away and you will have to start the process again.
  2. You might not be able to get a convenient date for fingerprinting if you DIY, whereas with CVD, you can take advantage of one of our daily submission / fingerprinting slots - our experienced staff will meet you there and assist you through the process.
  3. You'll spend time waiting around the Chinese Visa Centre, despite having an appointment.
  4. The Chinese Visa Centre do not return passports on their Express service so you will have to come yet again to the centre to pick up your passport


Chinese Visa Prices



Don't forget that we offer pick up and delivery by courier.

Call us on 0207 436 9156 for a quote or email us on

Chinese Visa Homepage Chinese Visa Pricing Chinese Visa Forms Chinese Tourist Visa Chinese Business Visa China Travel Tips Marrying in China Apostille and Document Legalisation Vietnam, Mongolia Visas Courier
FAQ Contact Us

© Chinese Visa Direct Limited 2013 (page updated September 2013)
Chinese Visa Direct Limited is a company which was registered in March 2005 in England and Wales no:5482936