Tourist Visas - L visas
Always bear in mind that the type of visa and length granted for each stay is always at the discretion of the Chinese Embassy, which will grant you the visa they deem is most appropriate as determined by all the circumstances (especially the documentation in hand).
This is what you should apply for if you are going on holiday to China. The length of stay for each entry is usually 30 days. You can ask for more than 30 days, if needed and if supported by documentation.
Look at our PRICING page to see how much each costs. We accept payment by CASH, CHEQUE, POSTAL ORDER and DEBIT CARD (fill out the authorisation form on the application form and we will do the rest or pay online).
CREDIT CARDS are accepted online only - click here to pay by these methods.
NB If you pay by cheque, we will wait for the cheque to clear before we send your passport back (usually 5 - 7 working days) - for speed, fill out the debit card authorisation on the application form.
Select the type of visa you want to find out about:
This "L" visa is for general holidaymaking purposes. Only single and double entry visas are available. You will need to send us:
1. Passport plus a photocopy of the photo page in addition - passport must have two blank pages and 6 months remianing validity
2. One photo (less than 6 months old) - there are specific requirements for photos - click here for more information - if the requirements (per the link) are not met, the application may be refused.
3. Completed Chinese Visa application form
4. Relevant fee (click here to see prices)
5. An original and a copy of your permanent residence or work permit for the UK if you are not applying with an EU passport.
If you have been to China before, a photocopy of your last Chinese visa.
7. If you used to have a Chinese passport, and now have a foreign passport,
and if it is the first time you are applying for a visa, you need to send the original Chinese passport plus a photocopy of the data page of the passport. If you have had previous Chinese visas but they are in an old passport, you need to send us the original Chinese passport and a photocopy of the data page, the photo page, and of the previous Chinese Visas.
(a) Copy of flight reservations / ticketsand copy of hotel reservation; OR
(b) invitation letter from family or friends . If your inviter is Chinese, you will also need a photocopy of their Chinese ID. If your inviter is not Chinese, you will need to send a photocopy of their passport and Chinese residence permit. See our Blog post about invitation letters.
10. For any child under 18 going to China, the following documentation is now required:
Both parents to sign the Chinese Visa application form; Original birth certificate; copy of passport of both parents. This is regardless of where the child was born.
IF YOU ARE POSTING YOUR DOCUMENTS TO US BY ROYAL MAIL: Please send the above documents to CHINESE VISA DIRECT, PO Box 5051, London W1A 8UZ. We recommend using Royal Mail Special Delivery.
IF YOU ARE DELIVERING THE DOCUMENTS IN PERSON OR USING A COURIER, please deliver them to our office at 25 MARGARET STREET, LONDON W1W 8RX. Click here for a map.
Once we receive your passport back from the embassy with visa, we will send you your passport back by Royal Mail Special Delivery, unless you instruct us otherwise.